Saturday, June 7, 2008

Just a few tidbits

Tidbit 1: There was a recent article in the Boston Globe about the increase of urban gardening. Yay! I love walking around my neighborhood and seeing tomato plants in people's yards. There are also a couple of community gardens nearby, and I like passing by to see what's growing.

Tidbit 2: I just have a few seedlings inside still, and my plan is to get them all out this weekend. Mr. Foliage's tomatoes still need to go out, and I think he's going to do that this weekend as well. I have a whole tray of extra tomato seedlings, and a friend is picking them up next week to take them home. Soon the indoor seedling shelf will be empty!

Tidbit 3: Our first farm share pick up is on Tuesday. Our farmer sent out an email letting us know what to expect: sugar snap peas, pea tendrils, arugula, a lot of spinach (record setting crop this year), and possibly lettuce and a few other greens. I am very excited! Seeing this list makes me think of a pasta salad with arugula pesto, topped with peas and pea tendrils. Yum.

Tidbit 4: We just got an indoor composter. I was a bit nervous about indoor composting, but a friend has been using this same type of composter for a few months with no problems or smells. So, we're taking the plunge into the exciting world of home composting. We'll be using a microbial inoculant to actually pickle our compost. Wow!

That's it for today's tidbits. I'm now off to face the heat wave that is starting here today. We're expecting highs in the upper 80s and into the 90s for the next few days. Ugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes! keep up the blogging. it's fun and inspiring to read.