Tuesday, May 8, 2007

A Trip to Mahoney's


The weekend before last some of our car-owning friends asked us if we'd like to accompany them on a trip to Mahoney's Garden Center in Winchester. I'd heard wondrous things about the expanse of this place. And, indeed, it was a gardening mecca compared to what I usually have access to on the T.


I had a lot of fun looking at the flowers, but when it comes down to it I'm really not much of a flower-gardening type. Although flowers are really pretty, I somehow can't get inspired to put a lot of work into plants that don't produce food. I do happen to like flowers that can be eaten though (i.e., signet marigolds and nasturtiums). Nevertheless, each summer I do usually put aside two pots for non-edible flowers. One of my few purchases at Mahoney's was some vinca to put in these two flower pots.

I really do like little funky looking succulents though, which is an exception to my usual preference for edible plants. I got a couple of these at Mahoney's as well so that I can replace some of the ailing plants in my terrarium.


At this point, you may wonder why I am writing about a trip to a garden center that took place almost two weeks ago (as exciting as it was). Well, the answer is that I am really procrastinating. I am now going to return to writing a paper that has been looming over me. One more week of this business and then I'm footloose and fancy-free.


[Photos by Mr. Foliage]

No comments: